Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Kristen's Cool Down Tips

It's been in the 90's and up for the past few days here in LA, which is pretty unbearable.  Here are some of my hot weather coping tips:
  • Go grocery shopping (Sara and I used to do this at Iseminger all the time) because the frozen food aisles are like Antarctica!  Or go anywhere with free A/C.  Movie theaters are an option, but at $12 a ticket, that's hardly a bargain.  
  • Eat ice pops!  When I was little they were called Mr. Freezies or whatever, but out here they are called Otter Pops.  I grab about 5 at a time and go at 'em... they're about 15 calories a piece, which can add up quick.  But if you turn your A/C off you'll probably sweat it out anyway.  
  • Freeze your pillowcases.  This feels great but only has an effect for 3-5 minutes.  
  • Aloe.  Even if you're not sunburned, if you slather aloe on your skin and lay in front of a fan, it instantly cools you down. 
  • Drink cold H2O... sometimes I drink so much ice water that it hurts my head a little, but it will definitely bring your core temperature down.  I've heard that cold water can actually heat up your body because your body works harder to heat it up... or something like that?  But I think it works pretty well!
  • Cool/cold showers.  
  • Try not to move at all.
If you do use an A/C, try to maximize its effects by containing the cool air in the room you're in.  John and I turn ours on and then aim a fan back at it from the other end of the room, so that is circles the cool air around you. 

I bought 4 lbs of strawberries the other day (for $3!), so I wanted to make sure to use them before they go bad.  Now that we have a blender, I love making smoothies!  

Here is the concoction I put together last night:
In a blender, add about 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries.  Add a bunch of ice (I think I added about 12 cubes) and 3/4 cup of Orange Juice.  Blend until all the ice is crushed.  This made a giant smoothie for me and a regular sized one for Johnny.  You can mess around with the ingredients and proportions.  Try different fruit.  Some people add yogurt, but I like mine more on the icy side and less creamy.   Oh, I also added a tablespoon of sugar, but that's totally optional.  It just balances the acidity a little bit.

Enjoy!  

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails