Sunday, January 11, 2009

My New Toy & a Recipe

John's parents got this for me for Christmas! I know, way too generous, right? But I can't complain because I have been pining away for one of these since I was 10 years old! My mom had a stand mixer, but I'm not sure what brand it was. I have a KitchenAid hand mixer, but that's no match for my 5 quart Artisan! I am so excited to make a lot of delicious things in 2009, and I promise I will post to the blog more. I have just been LAZY.


For now, I'll leave you with a great recipe for Pumpkin Cookies, that I ripped off from Sara's mom. I mean, I know the pumpkin loving season is over, but I've been known to make these all year long... they are delicious!


Sara's Mom's Pumpkin Cookie Recipe:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.


In a bowl, combine the following dry ingredients: 2 c. flour, 1 t. baking soda, 1 t. cinnamon, 1/2 t. salt and set aside.
Cream together (in a mixer or with hand mixer) until it looks smooth: 1 c. Crisco shortening, 1 c sugar, 1 c. solid pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie mix, Libby's solid pumpkin in a can).


Add 1 egg & mix.
Add dry ingredients (above) & 1 cup raisins.
Drop from spoon onto ungreased, or lightly greased, cookie sheet. Sara's mom makes them about half the size of a golf ball... mine tend to get larger as the sheeting goes on, but however you like (just not too big).


Bake 10-12 mins. Cookies should look slightly undercooked when you take them out. Just barely brown around the bottom edges. The bottom of the cookie will look done. Let them cool on a cookie rack while you get ready to frost them.
FROSTING --> start this when your cookies have a few minutes left in the oven
In a microwaveable dish, cook 3 T. oleo or butter, 4 t. milk, and 1/2 c. brown sugar until dissolved.


Cool slightly and add 1 c. powdered sugar and 3/4 t. vanilla.
Beat until smooth. Spread a thin layer on warm cookies. The frosting will be somewhat runny, but will harden as the cookies cool. If the frosting gets too hard or chunky before you finish baking, just thin in the microwave for 5-10 seconds and stir.

1 comment:

jhnjmn said...

These cookies are so good. In fact when they are made...it's just straight hand-to-mouth eating and zoning out staring at the wall in a stupor.

It's like food heroin essentially. Highest recommendations.

Related Posts with Thumbnails