Thursday, March 5, 2009

Loaded Sweet Potato

When John and I were home for Christmas, my brother and his wife took us to this restaurant called The Texas Roadhouse.  I understand that this is a chain restaurant, however, there are none by us in LA, so I was unfamiliar with it.  My rib plate was especially delicious, mostly due to my "loaded" sweet potato.  For weeks after this meal I fantasized of sinking my fork into a potato as luscious and sinful as that one.  Then I thought, can't I duplicate this at home?  Not quite, but I came close.  In fact, had I never tasted the Texas Roadhouse version, I'd think I was a genius. 

Here's the recipe for Kristen's Faux-Roadhouse Sweet Potato:
1 large sweet potato or yam
1 T. butter (I suppose you could use margarine...)
1/2 t. vanilla
1 t. cinnamon
3 t. brown sugar
handful of mini marshmallows

Just poke a hole or two in the sweet potato and microwave it for 10-12 minutes, or until it's tender and easy to cut with a knife. After that, just microwave the butter for 15-20 seconds or until melted.  Add the brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla and mix.  Go ahead and cut down the center of your potato in the shape of a cross, so you can squeeze it open.  Spoon in the sugary-buttery mixture and smear it over the top too.  Stuff those mini marshmallows in the potato so they're flowing out of the top.  Pop the potato into your broiler (on some aluminum foil) for 1 minute or so until the marshmallows get golden brown (make sure you stay close!).
eat it. love it. i do!


8 comments:

prototype138 said...

THAT'S SO AWESOME!
Also, I'm trying to talk Christie into us getting an ice cream maker, because I think I can adapt her friends recipe for a pumpkin dip into a frozen treat with the consistency of ice cream, but no milk or eggs or refined sugar.
The dip is delicious and pretty good for you. I'll have Christie give you the recipe.
If I remember.
So maybe remind me.
Or ask her.

angrygn0me said...

that looks soooooo good.

and the pumpkin recipe is as follows

1 small box sugar free insant vanilla pudding (i used cheesecake too)

1 container fat free cool whip

1 can pumpkin (not the pie filling, reg pumpkin)

mix in a large bowl, chill and serve! you can use it as dip for apples, or do what we did... freeze it in cups and eat it frozen, plain. :D

Kristen P said...

Yum Thanks for the recipe guys! Come back and visit soon.. i'll be posting more recipes!

bobman said...

Man this looks good. I cant wait to have my own place so i can cook my own stuff and not eat the same dinners that my parents have been making for the past 24 years!!

ssHUMANs said...

this looks amazing. since you are a now a professional cook expert- i will be expecting something equally delicious this weekend!

Paige said...

OMG, Roadhouse is one of my favorite restaurants! I have a funny story about it actually. We have them all over in the south, but I didn't think there were any up here. Then one day Steve and I are driving through Montgomeryville, and I see the top of the Texas flag coming from behind a mattress giant. Well, being Texan, obviously a Texas flag catches my eye when I'm in PA, and after gasping loudly I say to Steve, "Pull over!!! I think there might be a Texas Roadhouse over there!" and there was! It was fate or something. Haha.

Paige said...

Hmmm...I've never heard the commercials, so I googled it. The thing is, it's all in the language- is it really promising to make your hair grow faster, or is it telling you it's going to make your hair appear fuller and longer? Cause really, it could do that. Also- they say the products are full of amino acids, which are in most of the higher end hair products and skin creams. So they're claiming it's going to make your hair, skin, and nails better. The directions say to apply the product and massage into scalp for three to five minutes. So really...if everyone massaged their scalp for 5 minutes every day religiously, yeah, they would have better hair because of the increased circulation. Now combine it with the fact that those amnio acids are running down your skin in the shower, and your nails are in it while your hands are massaging your head...I see how it could work.

But do I think it's worth $60 a bottle? Nope.

Paige said...

Don't worry about it, I'm totally a stalker, although I prefer "Internet Detective" haha! That's funny, both my sisters told me I should go on sparkpeople...I have to try it for sure. Too bad you don't live here so we could exercise together or something!

Related Posts with Thumbnails