Thursday, June 4, 2009

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Sorry for no blogs last month. I was busy baking and simultaneously trying to lose some weight - needless to say, I'm a little counter-productive. Here's a recipe for a super delicious pie, my favorite pie. Fresh strawberries and rhubarb make the perfect mix of sweet and sour.

Pie Crust Ingredients (enough for double crust, needed below):
2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 c. shortening
1/2 t. salt
6 T. ice cold water

Whisk the flour and salt together in a bowl. Using a pastry blender, "cut" in
the cold shortening until it resembles coarse crumbs. Drizzle 3 to 4 T. of the cold water over the mixture and mix with a fork to combine, adding more water until the dough comes together. Split dough in half and form into two balls. Wrap each with plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes before rolling out. Rolling out can be super tricky. Make sure you have extra flour near by, a good "rolling space" and a weighted or wooden rolling pin. I use a weighted non-stick, but I still had difficulty doing this.

Pie Ingredients:
1 c. white sugar
2 T. corn starch
1/4 c. water
1 pound fresh rhubarb, chopped (can be hard to find)
2 pints fresh strawberries
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
2 T. butter
1 egg yolk
2 T. white sugar

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, add 1 c. white sugar, the sliced strawberries and chopped rhubarb, and toss together. In another small bowl, combine the 1/4 c. water with 2 T. cornstarch and add this mixture to the strawberries/rhubarb bowl, toss to combine. Let stand for 30 minutes.

Pour filling into the prepared pie crust, and spread little bits of the butter around the top of the filling. Cover with the top crust and seal the edges, using water if necessary.


Use a pastry brush to apply yolk to the top of the pie. Sprinkle with the 2 T sugar and cut holes/lines in the top to let steam escape. Bake for about 1 hour. This is a little tricky because I'm pretty sure my oven is off from other people's "normal" ovens. When the top looks golden, you're golden. Let this pie stand on a cooling rack for at least 2 hours, or it will still be runny. MUST SERVE with vanilla ice cream.

I forgot to take a picture of the cross section of the pie, but here's the whole thing when I pulled it out of the oven.

3 comments:

prototype138 said...

Thank you! I had forgotten completely that Rhubarb exists. It is the one vegetable that I can remember actually enjoying as a child, and I look forward to trying it again as an adult.
I remember Aunt Pat had it growing when she lived in Little Falls. Nick and I would break

prototype138 said...

oops....
Nick and I would break off the stalks and dip them in sugar to eat them raw.

Kristen P said...

Yeah i remember eating raw rhubarb with sugar! Also make sure you don't eat the leaves... they are poisonous!

Related Posts with Thumbnails