Monday, July 20, 2009

Bread Pudding

  • 3 1/2 c. bread, cubed. I used some slightly stale Italian bread, and one slice of "french toast" bread
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 c. butter
  • 2 c. milk
  • 2/3 c. sugar (I used splenda-sugar baking blend, so I only needed 5 1/2 T. of it)
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1/4 t. nutmeg
  • 1 T. cinnamon
  • 1/2 c. raisins (opt.)
  • 1 banana, sliced (opt.)
Cook the milk in a saucepan over medium heat, until a film starts to form over the top. Add the butter and stir until melted. Set aside and cool to lukewarm. Meanwhile, spray a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with PAM, and place the the cubed (I actually just ripped mine into pieces) bread into the dish.
Combine the sugar, eggs, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon, and beat for 1 minute on medium
speed.
Slowly add the milk mixture and beat to combine.
Sprinkle the raisins over the bread, and spread out the sliced banana throughout the dish. Pour the batter evenly over the bread, and bake for
45-55 minutes at 350 degrees. Serve warm.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar, top with a rum or caramel sauce, or serve with vanilla ice cream.

I ate a bunch before I snapped these pics... sorry!

I got the idea to make bread pudding because John brought a bunch of stale Italian bread home from one of his work lunches. I hate birds, and we have enough wildlife in my hood, so I thought I'd put it to *better use*... in my stomach!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails