Monday, September 28, 2009

Black Bean Salsa

This recipe is another one courtesy of a Minnesotan family member: my aunt Leanne. She gave me this recipe almost two years ago. I failed to achieve deliciousness my first time out, but over Labor Day I gave it another try. I think the problem was that I couldn't find the shoepeg corn* that the recipe required, but this time I just used raw sweet white corn cut directly from two cobs. Do not use canned yellow corn!

2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can shoepeg corn * (see above)
2 tomatoes, diced
1 red onion, chopped
2 avocados, diced
3-4 T lime juice
2 T olive oil
1 T red wine vinegar
cilantro
salt & pepper, to taste
garlic, to taste


Prepare all the ingredients as specified. Add the avocado last. I made this a few hours in advance of a party, and added the avocado + a little more lime juice just before leaving. The avocados actually kept within the dip for another day (refrigerated) or so. Very addicting and filling.


Check out my recipe on 
Avocado Black Bean Salsa on Foodista

1 comment:

amy said...

I have a similar recipe from my boyfriend's mom in georgia. I was skeptical, this list of ingredients sounds marginal at best...but it's freakin' delicious :)

1 can black beans
1 can black eyed peas
1can yellow corn
1 chopped red onion
1 chopped bell pepper (red or green)
1 pkg. italian dressing mix, prepared

mix it all up and scoop it up with tortilla chips. those lime tostidos are especially good with it for some reason.

Related Posts with Thumbnails