Sunday, September 6, 2009

Grandma Bars

I always called these "Peanut Butter Cornflake Bars," but that seems to be a little too literal for my family, because apparently they are ONLY called "Grandma Bars"... I'm not sure if it's because my grandma actually invented them, or because she has perfected the recipe.

Here they are:

1 c. granulated sugar
1 c. light corn syrup
2 c. peanut butter
6 c. corn flakes
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Heat the sugar and corn syrup together in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir this frequently and only until the two are combined... DO NOT BOIL OR LET IT GET TOO HOT (I always do this and it makes for a really tough Grandma Bar)! Then add the peanut butter and mix over the heat until all combined. Remove from heat and add the cornflakes. I use my silicone spatula that is supposed to be heat resistant up to a million degrees, or so I thought, because today the silicone snapped in half! You can use a good old fashioned wooden spoon to combine. Press this mixture into a 9"x13" pan using a fork, wooden spoon, or some wax paper. Melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips and spread over the top. Cool and cut into squares or triangles. Some people like to melt butterscotch chips to spread on top, but that's blasphemy (unless you're my friend Sara who hates chocolate and then I'll allow it).

1 comment:

sarahe said...

yum!! these look great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails