Monday, March 15, 2010

Tarte Tatin

I recently took a baking class. I learned how to make a few really awesome things. Above is the Tarte Tatin we made, which is a very classic and delicious dessert. It's basically an apple tart that you cook and then flip when you take it out of the oven. I love it so much.
  • Peel about 8-9 apples. I chose Red Delicious because that's what my teacher suggested, but I'm pretty sure you can use any kind of apple you want. Core the apples and slice into thick chunks. As you peel and slice, keep the apples in a bowl of lemony water so they don't get too brown.
  • Place half a stick of butter (cut up) and half a cup of sugar into a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the apples and cook them slowly, turning and flipping as needed, until they are soft and turn a caramel-ly brown. If you're using a cast iron pan, you can arrange the apples within that pan and add your puff pastry crust on top, folding over the edges as needed and slicing a few air holes in the top. Then you can just pop it in the oven at 375 until the puff pastry is a deep golden brown.
  • I chose to rearrange the apples in a separate 9 inch circular cake pan. For the crust, roll out a sheet of puff pastry slightly. Take whatever pan you're going to use and cut a piece of puff pastry around the edge of the pan. Then just follow the instructions above. Doing this, I think I lost a bit of my heat by transferring the apples and it took a bit longer to cook, but it came out just as delicious, if not just as pretty.
  • When you remove the pan from the oven, let it sit for a minute or two, but not much longer. Place a large plate over the pan and flip. Let the pan rest upside down on the plate for 10 seconds before lifting off. Your tart should come right out. Slice up and serve with some fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. 

    No comments:

    Related Posts with Thumbnails