Friday, May 28, 2010

Crock-pot Mac & Cheese

Well, the title says it all. I bought myself a crock-pot. Actually, my mom bought it for me as I finally got around to using those Christmas gift cards. I wasn't sure what my inaugural crock should be, so I did a bit of scouring the internet and found this blog. Itching to use the crock and not really in the mood for a "stew," I searched for one of my favorite meals ever and found this recipe. With fair warning from the mixed recipe reviews, I attempted this dish with a few modifications:
1) I used only about 3 1/2 cups milk (1 cup 2% and the rest was skim)
& 2) I used all sharp cheddar (6 oz Cabot Extra Sharp & the rest Kraft shredded). Boy, was this mac sharp. I think next time I might mix cheddar with a better melting cheese, like a Velveeta or something...

All in all, it turned out pretty awesome. I cooked it on low for about an hour and a half, tops. Probably because I am a little spacey and bought a SEVEN QUART CROCK-POT (for a two-person household)!
Right before it was finished I topped it with a bit of extra shredded cheese. It wasn't soupy at all. I know I'm not the only mac & cheese lover out there... I urge you guys to try this recipe if you have a crock-pot, but be warned that this is not a "set it & forget it" type of recipe. I had to stir it every 30 minutes and it was done before I knew it!

^ click for yum ^

3 comments:

cabotcoop said...

I just got a crock-pot cookbook, and am going to get it out tonight to start experimenting! This recipe looks amazing- thanks from the farm families who own Cabot for using Cabot cheese!
~Jacquelyn

escapefrombk said...

Yummers, that looks like a good one to try! Love that crock pot... I got a little one for our 2 person household, which has worked out pretty well. But there have been several times I've wished I had a full sized one for cooking bigger pieces of chicken or roasts and stuff. I think you're better off with the big one in the long run. But if you want a little one, they're only about $9 at Kmart!

ssHUMANs said...

i have a good crockpot recipe book also, i will scan and send you some asap. i can't believe you bought such a huge one!

Related Posts with Thumbnails