Monday, July 26, 2010

My Favorite Ingredient

I learned about this product during a baking class I took about 5 months ago. If you bake a lot, you know that countless recipes call for vanilla extract. Since discovering vanilla bean paste, I have not been able to deprive any of my recipes from using it. The vanilla extract and (for shame) imitation vanilla extract are collecting dust in my pantry. The instructor called this stuff "liquid love" and said only to use it for people you love. Well, I only bake for people I love, so my jar is already nearly empty. It's a 1 for 1 exchange with vanilla extract, but it is 1000x more delicious.

In the past few months, I have noticed this product popping up more and more. You can probably find a good deal online, but I have also seen it in the nicer kitchen supply stores as well as World Market.

John got me the KitchenAid ice cream maker attachment, and I can't wait to start adding vanilla bean paste to the ice cream recipes I want to try. Hopefully awesome ice cream blogs to follow this one.

4 comments:

Octavius Orgasm said...

Ooooh, I should make sure Matt sees this for the next time he's making ice cream.

jordan said...

That sounds really good. I've always wanted to buy fresh vanilla beans.

escapefrombk said...

Hey look, the Pioneer Woman uses it too! http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/07/creme-brulee/

Kristen P - "Praz" said...

Thanks, Amy... her creme brulee looks awesome, and I am so glad she showed the vanilla bean paste in action... her photos are awesome and I want to jump through the screen and eat the paste (I do lick the stuff off the lid sometimes).

Related Posts with Thumbnails