Tuesday, August 31, 2010

More Failures

I've just been failing all over the place this last week, culinary-wise. Last week I got it stuck in my head that I just HAD to use my new ice cream maker, STAT! I was so impatient that I didn't let the ice cream bowl freeze for the 15+ hrs recommended. 12 hrs isn't enough? Go figure. I ended up with a sort of ice cream soup. It was delicious, but not ice cream. I used a modified B&J recipe from this book

2 large eggs
3/4 c. sugar
2 c. heavy cream
1 c. milk
2 ripe bananas (I froze mine ahead of time)
1/2 c. peanut butter
2-3 T. lemon juice

Whisk Eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, then whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, until completely blended. Pour in cream & milk and whisk to blend. Take about 1 c. of this liquid and combine with the peanut butter in a separate bowl. Stir until completely blended, then add back to the base and stir again. 

Transfer to your ice cream machine and freeze following your machine's instructions. (seriously...)
Meanwhile, mash the bananas in a bowl and add the lemon juice. Whisk until smooth. 
During the last few minutes of ice cream blending, add the banana mixture to the machine. Freeze until ice cream is ready.

Like I said, yummy, but more like soup. My own fault, totally. 
I have big plans in the works for my next ice cream adventure. The bowl has been in my freezer for the last few days and the temperature in LA has dropped drastically, so no excuses.

Then on Saturday at Jenn's house she asked me to help with a recipe she was doing for a luau the following day. Some yummy sounding S'mores thing that required her to make her own marshmallows. Does anyone besides Martha Stewart MAKE their own marshmallows? Jenn does. Crazy. Anyway, even the most simple task handed to me (toasting coconut) could not be followed through, and I burnt 75% of the coconut! Wahh! Luckily, or weirdly, thanks to my mom, I have a taste for burnt food and I nibbled away at this the rest of the night. 

Even though I have been less than perfect at some of my recent attempts, I am not going to stop! I know that all the greats have run into hiccups on their journeys, and mine will be no different. Lately I'm starting to feel more like Betty Lehn (my mom... hi, mom!) than Betty Crocker, though. 

5 comments:

AJ said...

this kind of stuff happens to me all the time! luckily i'm an adaptable cook/eater, so i can normally salvage at least part of what i've accidentally slaughtered... or just make the best of it and eat it as is. :)

see: http://anjeme.blogspot.com/search/label/cooking%20disasters

good luck!

AJ said...

yes! i did use crockpot365 as inspiration this week... we made her crockpot macaroni and also crockpot honey lentils... both of which were fabulous... and provided lots of leftovers for lunches. i'll have to see about making toaster oven pizzas... sound delish! thanks for the help! :)

akpsychgirl said...

I wonder if you were whipping too fast? It almost looks like (from the photo) the colorings of butter? Maybe I am wrong and it's something else!!

Kristen P - "Praz" said...

nope, with the ice cream maker i was whipping super slow because that's what it says. The peanut butter probably gave it that buttery look.

akpsychgirl said...

Oh okay, bummer!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails