Monday, August 23, 2010

Recipe Fail

Ever follow a recipe to the T and still get it wrong? I do... all the time. I had planned on showcasing a newly-mastered recipe for stabilized whipped cream, that whippy-frosting substance that comes on some cakes and holds up longer than regular whipped cream. I thought I'd squeeze some of it onto some cupcakes and also try my new airbrushy style frosting colors. None of this happened because I did SOMETHING wrong. I don't know what, and it is driving me crazy!


Here's the recipe I used for stabilized whipped cream. If anyone has ever tried this and succeeded, let me know what I did wrong. I plan on trying this again (and maybe documenting it as sort of a "Recipe Re-Do," but for now I'll have to move on.


1/4 c. cold water
1 t. unflavored gelatin
1 c. heavy whipping cream
1 T (or more) white sugar
1/2 t. vanilla extract (I used my Vanilla Bean Paste)


Put your bowl and beaters into the fridge/freezer for at least 15 minutes. While you're doing this, combine the cold water and gelatin, and microwave for small increments of time until the gelatin is dissolved. Stir and let cool completely (gelatin should be liquid, but not warm when added to the cream). Beat the cream, sugar and vanilla until you start to see the beater marks. Slowly and constantly add the gelatin to the cream as it whips. Whip until stiff peaks form. 


I did notice after I finished whipping that there were small spots of gelatin stuck to the side of my cold KitchenAid bowl... maybe I whipped too fast and not enough of the gelatin got incorporated with the cream? Not sure if you can tell from my photo, but I did NOT get stabilized whipped cream. What a waste! 

8 comments:

ssHUMANs said...

What is the difference between stabilized whipped cream and regular whipped cream that you make yourself? I always make our whipped cream, but it is nothing fancy. I sometimes make long (and usually expensive considering that I often have to buy like 5 new ingredients) recipes that just don't taste good and it is super frustrating. I hate when it looks so good in a picture, but actually tastes boring.

Kristen P - "Praz" said...

basically I wanted to try it because I wanted something that would hold more than a couple hours... whipped cream only lasts so long. Also I wanted to try piping it into a taller structure and normally when I do this with regular w.c. it just falls. In the past I have used varying amounts of pudding mix-- like when I made a chocolate cream pie I added a bit to the w.c. for the topping... but I wanted a pure white color and even vanilla pudding is a yellowy color.

Beth Lehn said...

okay, so it was a waste as far as using as frosting, but please tell me you didn't toss it out...wasn't it still delicious???

Kristen P - "Praz" said...

NIbbled a bit on it... but fresh whipped cream only holds for so long and it would have gone to waste in my fridge anyway. This all happened late last night.

prettyface7 said...

I'm so sorry. There's nothing like trying something new and not getting the result you want. Then again, genius is born out of repeated effort. Good luck! :-)

prettyface7 said...

Question - how did you design the cool personalized theme for your blog?

Kristen P - "Praz" said...

Hey prettyface7,

Thanks for stopping by. I totally agree about trying again, and I plan to soon! From stopping by your blog, I see we share a common interest in our Roombas! Aren't they wonderful creatures? Congrats on your pregnancy!

Unfortunately, I can not take credit for the blog design. Blogger recently updated their design options and made it way more customizable... and I love it. The overall design is credited at the bottom of my page. I tweaked all the settings to get it this way, but the bg image is not mine. I have tried to do my own thang in the past and it never looked quite right.

K

prettyface7 said...

Well, it looks amazing. I can't wait to customize my blog's look. :-)
I love my Roomba - but why am I so lazy that I can't take it downstairs to suck up cat hair? I need a second one, LOL - so lazy. :-P
Thanks so much for the congratulations. I'm excited and confused all at the same time. I'm going to peruse your blog for yummy snack ideas - mmmmm!

Related Posts with Thumbnails