Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Royal Icing

As promised, I made just a few millions of little gingerbread cookies with royal icing for some goodie bags John wanted to bring into work. In case the cookies sucked, we sprinkled in some Cadbury chocolate pieces, York peppermint patties, and Lindt truffles. Luckily, they didn't suck. I actually used two different mixes to make these, mostly because I knew I had to make a ton, but also because I can't quite handle the smell of pure molasses in my house after a terrible baking experiment when I was eleven.

The royal icing was homemade. It's pretty easy to make.
  • 3 T. egg whites
  • 1-2 t. vanilla extract (clear if you want pure white frosting)
  • ~3 T. warm water
  • ~2 c. powdered sugar


This one is saying "help meeeeee"
Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl until foamy. Then add in the vanilla and water and gradually add the powdered sugar as you continue to mix on medium-high speed. The amount of water/sugar you add will depend on the consistency you're trying for. I just wanted to pipe a simple design on each cookie, so I did add more sugar to get a stiffer consistency. For the flooding/glazed look method, you'd probably need to double the water. Put the icing in a piping bag immediately, or cover your bowl because this stuff hardens pretty quickly!

5 bags down... only 35 to go... 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails