Things I Won't Miss About the "Kitchen:"
- The unpredictable green oven/stove, with only one oven rack. This oven can't seem to bake a simple batch of box brownies in under 2 hours.
- The garbage disposal that is constantly breaking. My landlord's son, upon taking over the building, finally replaced this for us. Three weeks later, it started making the most unpleasant noise, and I KNOW there is nothing jammed in there. Not my problem anymore!
- The hand-me-down microwave. I mean, this thing works fine, but is nothing special to look at. The plastic over the numbers is coming off and it always looks dirty. Plus, it takes up a ton of counter space. The new apartment has a built-in microwave, thus eliminating the need for this one, and freeing up valuable counter space.
- These dark, dingy cupboards. When we moved here we barely had enough stuff to fill one shelf, now they're constantly overflowing and needing reorganizing. The "pantry" cupboard above the refrigerator goes so far back that I'm constantly forgetting about food, and then this happens.
The new apartment's kitchen isn't a whole lot larger than our current one. BUT, there are a few important distinctions:
- I've already mentioned the built-in microwave, but did I tell you there's a dishwasher? Oh yeah, there is! And it's not named KRISTEN!
- The stove/oven is gas, which is really the only way to go. Our current one is gas too, but presumably this newer model actually works.
- There's definitely more counter space. Perhaps a nice spot near the window for my buddy, Triumph!
- It also faces the living room with open air between the sink and the cupboards (if that makes sense), so I can see into the living room. Unlike our current kitchen which is basically just a hallway.
- There's a higher counter on the side of the living room, presumably for putting some stools under it and using that as an eating area.
|Triumph being a little camera shy...|
Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of the new place to share (yet). March 1st is our official lease start, though we will be moving stuff over the next few weeks. Since our apartment is currently in shambles, at least this time for a justifiable reason, I probably won't be doing a ton of baking before we move.
Stay tuned for a "clip show"-style blog where I highlight some of my favorite or most memorable dishes made in this old kitchen!