Friday, March 4, 2011

Beef Roast, Roast Beef, Pot Roast?

I don't know what happened... I thought I would roast some beef in the oven last night. I slathered it in olive oil, herbs and spices, and popped it in a 350 degree oven for a while -- until it was ~140 degrees internally, then I let it rest for 15 minutes.

What I got was tough, chewy, fatty meat... and blah. Even though it was fairly pink inside, it was still so tough. I don't cook a ton of beef, besides hamburgers and the occasional steak. But this kind of traditional meal eludes me. I followed a fairly simple recipe. I'm left wondering if this is just a bad cut of meat, or if I missed some crucial step.

I hate when things don't go as planned. This was to be my first "real" meal in the new kitchen, not counting the simple things I've already been making, like frozen turkey burgers.

Hmm... guess it's Mongolian take-out tonight.

6 comments:

ssHUMANs said...

that stinks! i obv don't know anything about making pot roast, but think it is the worst when i spend all this time preparing a food and then it doesn't even taste good. i bet john would have eaten it just to be nice.

escapefrombk said...

Boo! That sucks, what recipe did you use? I've made Jamie Oliver's roast beef recipe twice in the last few months and it's turned out pretty good. I had no previous roasting experience because it always seemed kind of intimidating for some reason. It's the one in his Food Revolution book, in case you'd like to try it.

Kristen P - "Praz" said...

Oh, we definitely still ate it. But we had like more than half of it leftover and I didn't even bother wrapping it up, even though I knew I was throwing away precious $...

Amy, I used some recipe off of allrecipes.com that was pretty highly rated.

Kristen P - "Praz" said...

oh, but I am def interested in that Jamie Oliver recipe so if I get the courage I will check it out.

Christy said...

I've done a few pot roasts in the good ol' crock pot and they usually turn out lovely.. BUT, I do think it depends on the cut of meat, and I can't tell you the difference. I've used rump roast, pot roast, and other cuts and have yet to ever write down which one was really the better cut!!
Usually it is so tender I can just shred with 2 forks! Think the cut is probably as important as the seasonings!!???

Beth Lehn said...

Kristen, I never have luck with good cuts of roast either! My best luck is with cheap pot roast with lost of fat so it is more tender. But I know with a really good and large prime roast it starts in a REALLY hot oven to sear/seal it and then turned down to REALLY low, like 160?? or something and leave in for a long time to cook. You would think that would end up overcooking it but from those I have talked to, it ends up rare but tender. when you do figure it out, let me know as I NEVER try to make it for guests as I know it will be tough.

Related Posts with Thumbnails