Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia!


I've been hearing about chia seeds for a while now... when a friend's blog mentioned them, I jokingly said, "What, like the seeds you put on a Chia Pet?" Was I ever surprised to find out, yes, the one and the same! 

Weird!

Then, I was perusing another pal's blog, and found this genius recipe for what can best be described as a healthy tapioca, or, as I like to call it: Chia Pudding!

I made this last night for the first time and I loved it! It was perfectly sweet with just the coconut milk and a banana, but of course I needed to dress it up with a little non dairy whipped topping!
I never, ever would have picked these up off the store shelf if it hadn't been for the cool people I "know" via the internet. I'm excited to try some other recipes with chia seeds. They're a great source of fiber and Omega-3's.

2 comments:

escapefrombk said...

Weird! I had no idea people eat these, but I have to say, it looks pretty good. I don't know that our East TN grocery stores will have them stocked like they do in LA though :)

greenplatedinners.com said...

Nice, Kristen! I'm not sure about whether my seeds plumped up more, but I do know that I left them cooking for a while on the stovetop.

Also, you're totally right: I tend to underestimate the amounts for desserts because I'm a small dessert eater, hehe. This one's so healthy that the serving sizes could be larger, though =)

Related Posts with Thumbnails