Tuesday, March 27, 2012

100

(So, this is my 100th blog post. Coincidentally, I had this post planned for weeks before realizing that 2012 is also the 100th anniversary (birthday?) of the Girl Scouts of America. I love synchronicity.) 


I was a Brownie for a year or two back in Wisconsin. I don't remember much from those days, but I do somewhere have a sash with about 7 or 8 merit badges. Mostly I just love the GSA for the same reason everyone else does: the cookies (duh).


I was kind of freaking out because I couldn't find ANY cookies this year, and then a co-worker brought a small selection of boxes for us to fight over. Among them were boxes of Caramel deLites, the Samoa knock-off I hadn't seen around these parts in several years. The first time I had encountered Caramel deLites, it was sometime in high school or college and I was kind of outraged because I thought they had changed the name of my favorite cookie. This was before I learned that there are two bakeries that produce the cookies for the GSA each year: the Little Brownie Bakers and the ABC Bakery. I'm not sure how it's decided which bakeries supply cookies for certain troops. Little Brownie Bakers are responsible for the real deal Samoas, as well as Tagalongs, another favorite of mine. ABC Bakery produces the knock-offs Caramel deLites and Peanut Butter PattiesPlenty of people say that they're the same thing. But it's not true.


Submitted for the approval of the midnight society, I call this PROOF:


Which cookie looks better to you?

How about which cookie tastes better? To tell the truth, when I did the blind taste test, it was hard for me to figure out exactly which was the Samoa, except that I knew I preferred the after-taste of cookie B. John knew his favorite the instant he put it in his mouth. I guess he has a more discernible palette than I do. 
cross-section of both cookies
So, drum roll please...
......
......
......
COOKIE B is the Real Deal Samoa! Overall, the Samoa looks better, IMO. The chocolate is darker, there is more coconut and, when you examine the cross-section, there is also more caramel. 
Both are delicious, but, as I said before, I do prefer the Samoa. So does John.
The nutritional information is pretty much identical, however, Samoas come 14 to a box and with Caramel deLites you get 16. 
So, the mystery is solved. I was so glad when another friend texted me about a secret supply of GSC I could get my grubby little paws on in order to conduct this super scientific experiment. 

And, just in case you're interested, here's where your $4 per box goes:
  • 91 cents goes to the bakery
  • $3.09 goes to the GSA to provide programs, activities, recognition patches, and otherwise contributing to the development of girls in the community.
GSC time is pretty much done for this year, but luckily I've got a stash to last me for quite a while! 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails